Fiddleheads

Post any off-topic thread you wish.

Moderator: Scub

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Fiddleheads

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri May 03, 2013 10:14 pm

One sure sign of spring in Eastern Canada is the appearance of fiddleheads. Fiddleheads are a juvenile fern that comes up along river banks immediately after the spring water level recedes. Its a big delicacy here in eastern Canada along with Shad that run up the rivers at the same time. I bought my first pound of these tasty little suckers on my way home from work today and they are goinginto the pot in a few moments. Some eat them with vinegar added but I prefer a little salt and butter myself. They are very healthy and a great source of vitamins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddlehead_fern

I am curious who has heard of them and geographically who else eats them?
IMG_4570.JPG
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Re: Fiddleheads

Unread post by dano903 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:17 am

no experience at all with these. never heard of them, never saw them before, don't have any idea what they were.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat May 04, 2013 6:38 pm

:bowty:Looks to me like there the reason for impressions in rocks from a million years ago. Probably why Dinosaurs are no longer around. :Tout:

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:10 pm

I thought they were melted truck wheels at first.

Audacity

Unread post by Audacity » Tue May 07, 2013 3:06 am

From Ontario, I know what they are, but only have had them once when I was young. At that time they didn't do much for me. My wife and I were discussing them just last week. I'll see if I can find any in my woods tomorrow.

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Tue May 07, 2013 2:08 pm

I thought there is a helth warning attched to them - IIRC they do something to your Vitamin D production - and as I have a low level anyhow I would not touch them with a stick...

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat May 21, 2016 9:05 pm

Fiddlehead season is here again. Been eating these yummy little tidbits for 5 days now. The season will likely be done in a few days. I blanched and froze about 20 pounds of them for special meals throughout the year. They are always served at thanksgiving, xmas and etc.
IMG_0207.JPG
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Mon May 23, 2016 4:10 am

Over the years - I've heard people who have had them and they love them - I don't ever remember indulging. By the time I notice them they are either a little beyond or way beyond the point you are showing in the pics. Maybe someday?

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon May 23, 2016 1:00 pm

pfclt wrote:Over the years - I've heard people who have had them and they love them - I don't ever remember indulging. By the time I notice them they are either a little beyond or way beyond the point you are showing in the pics. Maybe someday?
I'm thinking where you are in the NE that they likely grow in your area but they haven't caught on yet. The natives ate them so when we settled here in eastern Canada we learned the custom from them. Fiddleheads have antioxidant activity, are a source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and are high in iron and fibre. They are a shoot from a common fearn that grows from the edge of a stream or river in a narrow band to the spring high water mark. The shoots come up over night and we pick them in the morning, they grow so quickly you pretty much have only one day to get the new shoots before they get too big and leafy. They are sweet and savory and are boiled for about 10 minutes until the crunch is gone and buttered and have salt and pepper added. Pretty much everyone eats them in eastern Canada as they are not something that is an acquired taste, the flavor is quite agreeable.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sat May 28, 2016 9:00 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
pfclt wrote:Over the years - I've heard people who have had them and they love them - I don't ever remember indulging. By the time I notice them they are either a little beyond or way beyond the point you are showing in the pics. Maybe someday?
boiled for about 10 minutes until the crunch is gone and buttered and have salt and pepper added.
That's the way I like my asparagus --- fresh out of the garden --- steamed or boiled - just enough to soften more like 3-5 minutes. I sometimes wonder without the butter and salt if I would like them as much................ but nothing like the combo!!