A little landscaping project I've been working on

Post any off-topic thread you wish.

Moderator: Scub

pfclt

A little landscaping project I've been working on

Unread post by pfclt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:39 am

I started this Project - probably before my B-25 project - it still isn't done but very close.

The Story:
Many years ago I took my pool out - no I don't mean out to dinner but out of the ground.

After a time went by - a construction project was started between my work and home. They advertised free fill - of course I needed that to fill in the hole that was once my pool. So one day I pull in to the construction site with (at the time) my little Mazda truck along with the 10 wheelers and ask the guy "You have free fill" or "Can I get some free fill" something to that effect. Well he looks at my little Mazda and asks "You want me to put it in that?" Of course I said "Yeah". He shrugged and I pulled it up and he filled it up. Well I stopped every day until my hole was full.

The next phase of their project - they were ripping up red stone. So I asked if it was alright if I took some of that --- "sure". So again every day I stopped and filled it up the little truck. I swear I don't know how I got some of the stones into my truck because I can't move them anymore! Or at least not without an amount of effort that borders on miraculous. Anyway - thought I'd share this as I'm almost done and took some shots today - some may find it worth the look:

A shot from the Early Afternoon - Gorgeous day today!

Showing the finished top step from last year:

Lower steps needing crushed rock – Most expensive part of the job.

From the terrace garden

This shot you can see most of the whole thing - steps and stone wall:

I've used up all the rock and I should have made one more trip ?><@#&$!!!

dano903
The King
The King

Re: A little landscaping project I've been working on

Unread post by dano903 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:54 am

THAT IS A LOT OF WORK!!! looks good!

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:56 am

dano903 wrote:THAT IS A LOT OF WORK!!! looks good!
Thanks Dano!
Yes "lot of work" but it has been spread out over several years - couple hours here, couple hours there - you know! Eventually it gets done.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:29 am

:bowty: Lookin good pfclt, Looks kinda like Dano terrain in 1 to the first scale. :Tout:

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Locozugmeister wrote::bowty: Lookin good pfclt, Looks kinda like Dano terrain in 1 to the first scale. :Tout:
Thanks Loco!

"1 to the first scale" Huummmm.... Not sure there ... but yeah it does have that layered look not quite as good as Dano's - but then I wasn't trying to make a bunkerrrrrrrr --------- hummmmmmmmm - GEEEEEZZZ ---- I COULD HAVE MADE A BUNKER!

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Nice stuff pfc. :bow:

It reminded me of a guy that had a small stream (not big enough for fish) running through his property in my area. It had enough grade that he was able to create steps made of flag stone for the stream to cascade over. He turned the alignment into a giant set of flagstone steps and ended up with an awesome landscaping coup. It looks and sound great when the water is running fast.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:57 am

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:Nice stuff pfc. :bow:

It reminded me of a guy that had a small stream (not big enough for fish) running through his property in my area. It had enough grade that he was able to create steps made of flag stone for the stream to cascade over. He turned the alignment into a giant set of flagstone steps and ended up with an awesome landscaping coup. It looks and sound great when the water is running fast.
I have to say water would be great and I have thought about how to introduce that to the project - but its not going to happen although that would make it sweet. Sounds like your neighbors project was pretty sweet - hard to beat water cascading over rocks.

Thanks Ober!

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:46 am

Thought I'd update this thread. I was motivated to do some finishing touches to the project before my eldest daughter got married a few weeks back. The project will still get some more plants over time - but for the most part its pretty much finished. Needless to say I was busy getting ready for this wedding thing but I'm pretty much recovered from the whole ordeal - everyone had a great time. Now I do fantasy football for the next 6 + weeks.
stitch top.jpg
004.JPG[/attachment [attachment=0]stitchbottom.jpg
008.JPG
Attachments
stitchbottom.jpg
004.JPG

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:45 am

:bowty: Looks like you have a backyard to be very proud of pfclt. Excellent job.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:25 pm

Nice work pfc. My neighbour is in the middle of a similar project, he gets the stones from the rockpiles around the fields where we live (Im in a rural area). It looks pretty labor intensive but the end result should be worth the time.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton