View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Denis Courcy's Blog     Danaussie's WaS Forum     aarules Scenario Site     Joebunda's AAM resource site     SgtFury's Rules Q & A Site     AAM Database     Cornerstone Games     Forumini 

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 geniuses 

I apologize up front here for the wordy post…………. Don’t bother reading …………it’s just a rant I’ve been on for many years………………………

Nothing personal here Ober – I’ve just always had an issue with the whole Idea of Genius. It’s an elitist kind of perspective to me. Are there really smart people? Yes. I have met many but mostly just lots of knowledge but not geniuses. Many are motivated - which to me is the true foundation of our admiration. They are mostly polymaths or pseud- Renaissance men. But I think as individuals - it’s having the good fortune to have been exposed to the right people at the right time over the years to ignite the motivation whether it’s to do or to find out about things. Unlimited knowledge at our fingertips by just doing a simple google search I hope leads to a ton of individuals with tons of knowledge. Unfortunately I see a lot of it wasted on mindless meandering but it could just be the old man is like so many old men of the past who see the world as a dreaded end to humanity.

For me; The motivation and knowledge is the same. Not discounting my whole life experience it was when I met someone around 1974 (I would have been 21). We went our ways and met up again a year later spending a few years in an apprenticeship together. He was formally educated at the University of Hartford before that. But we became close friends and I guess he saw a certain ability in me. We spent many hours playing games but mostly chess, watching movies, discussing books which was mostly me listening to this person regurgitate knowledge I had no idea existed about everything. I posted a picture somewhere of us at the Aberdeen proving grounds. I never developed that ability on his level. But I was motivated, on a very limited basis to pursue a limited polymathic endeavor. I took college courses on a part time basis eventually getting a Bachelor’s Degree. Collecting and reading a bunch of books I can tell you little about --- Soooo ------ Nothing impressive by any means! My friend passed many years ago from complications associated with diabetes.

Ober referred to me as a Genius – and I think and hope it was somewhat if not mostly tongue and cheek like: someone comes up with a basic idea that at the moment no one thought of and someone says wow you’re a genius. I’ve gotten that a lot from people at work over the years. I’ve been introduced as a really smart guy – my response is: “it’s all relative”. I’ve had years of training and experience in a field that promotes me solving problems by designing and almost always making but not necessarily in that order and not necessarily any of the above. Those new to the industry or the world of manufacturing find things I do impressive. In a way - I find it boring and at the same time a cool job. As I told my grandson’s the other day (my wife had to take them to school for my son and they were here early) “have a good day at school – I’m going to have a blast at work: I get to play with machines, and make things!!”

So let’s look at how we perceive “Geniuses” . They are pretty much identified as having a high IQ. Bogus!!!! Who makes the test, what is it founded on? Answer: preconceived notions of what someone or some group thinks we should know. Isn’t a genius someone who falls outside that definition? Einstein: how many disagreed with his way of looking at things at the time – lots of smart people.

And here’s a site that I find laughable. It lists behaviors that supposedly identify genius traits. I can identify with many, which, for me, can be discounted with a short blurb.

I could go on....................

So anyway – I am flattered if there is any seriousness to Ober’s compliment of genius but there are a few of them that post around here!

THANKS OBER!!

apologies if I have offended in any way!!!!!

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:51 pm

So that was my rant -

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

AND OF COURSE
The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should be.
Edgar Allan Poe

What and idiot am I

Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:29 pm

Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words
Interesting read...:D

I only know for sure & for certain that I am in my "Right Mind", I am a Southpaw....:D

Knowledge & Intelligence do not always share a common meaning....and Common Sense isn't as common as it used to be...:D

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:27 pm
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
I agree that geniushood is relevant to the context in which it is applied. One might say Henry Ford was a genius but when you look at the pollution the automobiles cause you might see him in another light. The same applies to herohood, one persons hero may be another nemesis. So in the context in which I posted my comment it was actually, tongue and cheek AND befitting for a suggestion I had never considered. Sometimes people put hats on us the either don't fit or are uncomfortable as hell, which begs the question, are we what people think we are? :geek:

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]