Input Wanted - New Forum Section: Video/Computer Gaming

Site Information and Guide
Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Input Wanted - New Forum Section: Video/Computer Gaming

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:47 am

Hello Members,

I haven't seen much discussion in this area and don't know if there aren't posts because most members don't play video games or because there isn't a section to post within. I would like to start one regardless and Ober will set one up but would like to hear your thoughts on what you might like to see. Besides the usual general discussion, some thoughts of mine are:

Master list of various WWII games across all platforms
Reviews by members
Facilitating online play (cooperative or uh...uncooperative)
Possibly other non-WWII military games but that may be pushing it

Growing up in the heyday of the NES, video gaming has always been some part of my life and over the years I have pretty much focused on military related games with my favorite setting being WWII (of course). We can always start small and reorganize later should more organization be needed.
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Input Wanted - New Forum Section: Video/Computer Gaming

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm

To start I was thinking of one section with some sub sections with the option of expanding into more where needed. Anyways, we are looking forward to members suggestions and comments. Ace has graciously volunteered to moderate the section so he will be taking the lead so get your ideas in, after all the members are what we are about. :D
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Why not?

I do not play many war related comp/vid games (the occasional AA - boardstyle game is the only WWII related I played within the last year - but gave Silent Hunter a try years ago ;))

I like "minecraft" a lot (actually I find it quite relaxing after a long workday - and building up something is more my taste than shooting down something - empire building is building ;))

I also like "Drakensang" a "roleplaying C-game.

And of course I absolutely LOVE Victoria II ...

definitely a subforum for "electronic" games would be something I would visit...

Scub
Location: Norway, where you meet Santa Claus and polar bears on a daily basis

Unread post by Scub » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 pm

Personally, I think it's an ok idea, when not met friends for AAM games, WWII PC games may be little consolation play activities and naturally open for some discussion thats comes along with it, so why not. I dont play WOT may be tempted, but I often play A & A pc turn by turn game, and therefore I look for Iron Blitz edition, better AI, first edition computer brain do some stupid moves that works against it, starting logical, but losing it gradually, just frustrating,] :wink:
Google Translate
I am from Norway, Bear with me !! ;-)

http://wotlabs.net/sig_cust/FFFFFF/7070 ... nature.png

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:16 pm

We will utilize any space you give us Ober!

Thanks for the input Richter and Scub...and Scub, you really should try WoT. Give it a couple hours and I think you will like it. At first the Garage menu might be intimidating but soon you will be constantly looking at your research menu to see if you can unlock the next upgrade, and if not quite there...just ONE more battle! :D

Iron Blitz is great, love how much you can customize the rules. Have you played Hearts of Iron III? I was reading up on it a bit in the latest WWII History magazine, seems really cool and extremely detailed, especially with all the expansions. It's a game I would like to play but don't have the time nor attention span to climb the learning curve on it.

There are so many great games out there that a place to post about them will introduce new games of interest to us all.
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

Scub
Location: Norway, where you meet Santa Claus and polar bears on a daily basis

Unread post by Scub » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Ace of Aces wrote:We will utilize any space you give us Ober!

Thanks for the input Richter and Scub...and Scub, you really should try WoT. Give it a couple hours and I think you will like it. At first the Garage menu might be intimidating but soon you will be constantly looking at your research menu to see if you can unlock the next upgrade, and if not quite there...just ONE more battle! :D

Iron Blitz is great, love how much you can customize the rules. Have you played Hearts of Iron III? I was reading up on it a bit in the latest WWII History magazine, seems really cool and extremely detailed, especially with all the expansions. It's a game I would like to play but don't have the time nor attention span to climb the learning curve on it.

There are so many great games out there that a place to post about them will introduce new games of interest to us all.
My neighbors and friend's son 11 years old, playing WoT, and when they were over for a visit, he saw my AAM collection, which he thinks is cool, I was impressed with his knowledge of many of these tanks, his father and me stood there as a question mark, when he told us about them, maybe he can help me with the game, :D

I have not tryed Heart of Iron, might look in to this game also, and yes Iron Blitz realised 99 :cool: is a good one,
Google Translate
I am from Norway, Bear with me !! ;-)

http://wotlabs.net/sig_cust/FFFFFF/7070 ... nature.png

pilgrimtone

Unread post by pilgrimtone » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:11 pm

I prefer board games myself but do play World of Tanks (everyday nearly)