Site Information and Guide
RichtervonManthofen

Is this site dead?????

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 am

?????

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Re: Is this site dead?????

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Yea, is basicly been dead for a year or more.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:09 pm

It is not dead to me, I still visit daily but not always making a post though. How can we get more traffic to visit & keep things happening....come on people, this is our game, we must keep it alive!!!

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:04 pm

curtm1911 wrote:It is not dead to me, I still visit daily but not always making a post though. How can we get more traffic to visit & keep things happening....come on people, this is our game, we must keep it alive!!!
Your right Curt. We really do need to keep it going but its tough.

I gave up starting threads a year to a year and half ago when most posts went unanswered or someone would reply when they felt sorry of me but the threads went nowhere. I quit posting to see if anyone would start some threads or have a better idea of what people would want to discuss, it didn't happen. It kind of depressed me as did the lack of quality posting on the Forumini. The Forumini is still somewhat active if you want to discuss rules clarifications of revel your latest booster opening but beyond that they have lost their edge also.

I had originally thought that turning the Underground into a general gaming forum, thus the "Other Games section". But alais it didn't attract anyone either, I assume that most games have their own specialized forums and there was no need to discuss games elsewhere.

So what do you do when your awesome game isn't manufactured anymore and it can only be bought through ebay?

I'm open to suggestions. Anyone?

PS - Its funny the card database hasn't slowed down a bit, its still good for around 10,000 searches per month. Go figure! How is the database so active but both forums are essentially dead? Its mind-bending to think about!
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:55 pm

I HOPE NOT!! I haven't been posting - but I check the site out almost every day.

Excuses or reasons which I'm sure others share many of the following:

1.)Work, Yard work (+gardening), focusing on B-25 a lot, Fantasy football, tons of family stuff (birthdays/ baptisms etc.) ----- et.al.
2.)Gaming time revolves around my kids. their taste is different than my strategy games - though they like it sometimes but not often. Over the last year I've played Pandemic, Forbidden Island (simplified pandemic), Samurai Swords/Ikusa, The Resistance (loosely - role playing?? card game), Tokaido, Fortune and Glory - all easy pretzel - beer type of stuff little thinking involved - Ikusa more of a strategy game. Never thought to post anything on them - Not WWII stuff.
3.)What little reading I've done is outside the WWII era -

Small analysis that we are all aware of on some level. As Ober has expressed - Passing of the game/ lack of new manfg'd units, As I have indicated above many go on to other games (FOW or others) - I'm sure most of us came to this game when we were in the FLGS and were exposed to the game - that's not happening any more as there is no marketing. Now its just somebody whom happens to run across the game somehow and does a search running across us or the Forumini. Many things over the years have been covered many times - it's hard to find something new and when the new players come along - its hard to be enthusiastic the twentieth time - Ober - you've been great at that. I was hoping the modeling would continue to have a level of enthusiasm as it is something I obviously enjoy a lot. So its just us die-hard's that loved the game and found other ways to enjoy - specifically the modeling - I'm missing the regularity of Dano/Loco posts!

It seems unless we go the same direction (Pletch - FOW) its hard to maintain identity unless we can get others to be part of it - totally understandable. He tried to bring that into the site - but there was little interest. So we get away and then we no longer feel we are part of the community. Its hard to keep on. We've had a really good group come and go over the years - I don't know what to suggest - I hope the last few die-hards don't move on. I've been surprised that the modeling section hasn't had more interest - some really good stuff there!

Not helpful --- But?

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:07 pm

As for myself, I have been getting scenario ideas, some even include Japan, not sure how many of us play/have Japanese units, I actually made the effort to collect/build a decent size collection of them. I can see that I need to do some playtesting of them, write them up & then post them. At least it will be something new to read & who knows, they might even get played. I was also going through the "Builds" section on the Forumini, finding old builds, using some "As Is", others I was tinkering with them & adding/subtracting units to my desires & also using the "Formations" for something different as well. I can use them for some scenarios depending on their balance & playability.

My usual gaming buddy has been AWOL for awhile due to work & chasing the elusive skirts...lol...not bad endeavors but very time consuming...:D...he has said though that he does want to get back to some dice rolling & tabletaunting so there is a chance things are looking up, at least here in the desert. I will also work on those aforementioned scenarios, getting them written up & maybe even some solitaire playtests if I can't get my bud to help out with them....more to follow...
Last edited by curtm1911 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:05 pm

I have never been a huge poster on any site and like others I can think of a couple of dozen reasons for not posting more often, however I instantly liked this site when I first found it, as it provided an almost instant sense of "belonging" when compared to the Forumini. It seemed to find its niche with the modeling and painting section and with Maus and Dano taking some apparent time off, that has drastically reduced the topic selections.

I don't know if it will ever become more of a general game topic site, as there is a dedicated forum or two (dozen) for almost every game system. I have got into Bolt Action a little bit, but I was able to find people here to work with getting me scenery and additional pieces for that game.

The modeling contests, giveaways, and community spirit is something I know I would miss if this site shut down.

As the game continues to fall further into the history books as far as production and support, there will be less and less new players. I look at the Forumini and it seems to be mostly the moderators and a couple of other diehards that continue to post. However, there are new players out there, as I usually make a sale or two to someone that I have never heard of when I get a new lot of pieces in.

To do my part, I hereby promise to post more :party:

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Stalker6 wrote:I have never been a huge poster on any site and like others I can think of a couple of dozen reasons for not posting more often, however I instantly liked this site when I first found it, as it provided an almost instant sense of "belonging" when compared to the Forumini. It seemed to find its niche with the modeling and painting section and with Maus and Dano taking some apparent time off, that has drastically reduced the topic selections.

I don't know if it will ever become more of a general game topic site, as there is a dedicated forum or two (dozen) for almost every game system. I have got into Bolt Action a little bit, but I was able to find people here to work with getting me scenery and additional pieces for that game.

The modeling contests, giveaways, and community spirit is something I know I would miss if this site shut down.

As the game continues to fall further into the history books as far as production and support, there will be less and less new players. I look at the Forumini and it seems to be mostly the moderators and a couple of other diehards that continue to post. However, there are new players out there, as I usually make a sale or two to someone that I have never heard of when I get a new lot of pieces in.

To do my part, I hereby promise to post more :party:

Many of the same sentiments here as well. My posting has always been up and down - There are only three sites I have ever posted on (possibly four??) - Guess what sites those are: W,F,U, ?. Part of the reason - it just takes me forever to make one (leaves me plenty of time to say "forget it") sometimes the thread has changed by the time I'm ready to post. I see many come on and respond in seconds to minutes when it takes me minutes to hours. Many reasons for that I guess. When I think its right - I reread a day later and its not.

Can't promise to post more - I always post more in the winter when I'm more involved with game time and modeling. Just too much happening the rest of the time. I will try to post as I have - but much of that revolves around others.

Edit: My first post seem to indicate I may not play AAM again - but I will - just not regularly.

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:53 am

I believe the most Posts here last year were in Connection with raising the funds ;)

Over there most Posts come from the new WAS deck and the online games... - not much to post into also if you are not interested in WAS (I am but that one is not active here)

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:51 pm

RichtervonManthofen wrote:I believe the most Posts here last year were in Connection with raising the funds ;)
Dano really holds the years record for posts but the fund raising would place in second place :wink:
~Gen. G.S. Patton