Tanks by Gale force nine

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Tanks by Gale force nine

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:24 pm

So I bought into the Tanks game by Gale force nine on the week-end, "Panther Vs Sherman". I bought it from ebay and I am expecting it before the week-end.

It says 30 minute skirmish battles between tank platoons. Hoping it will be fun.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Re: Tanks by Gale force nine

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:52 pm

:bowty: I've got the game and the Caen game mat. We haven't played yet but it looks very simple without all the fussy stuff. Could be a quick pace game for the next Maize-con.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Locozugmeister wrote::bowty: I've got the game and the Caen game mat. We haven't played yet but it looks very simple without all the fussy stuff. Could be a quick pace game for the next Maize-con.
Didn't invest in a mat yet. Hoping to figure out some way of using the AAM maps and ignore the hex lines. We also have a ton of Dano's 3D terrain we could use on a mat if needed.

I like the idea of not having to reinvest in new mini's for this game like Bolt Action. After Maizecon I priced up Bolt Action and was appalled at the cash grab in buying their 28mm mini's so didn't invest in it. One mini at Meeplemart here in Canada is between $30 & $40. :sickie: Thats why we decided to try the Tanks game, the starter was $40 with free shipping....pretty affordable.

Anyone played it yet? Stalker?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Stalker6

Unread post by Stalker6 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Actually, we do have this game. I bought it for my youngest son (10 years old) for Christmas this year. It definitely has a Star Wars X-wings game feel to it, but it is fun never the less. When I bought it, GF9 had announced that they were going to make a card pack available, but it looks like that is not happening now as the preorder information was pulled from a couple of the sites I frequent. This was disappointing as I really did not want to invest in more 15mm tanks just to get the cards. The starter pack does contain several different types of tank cards, so I could use some of our existing models. It would have been nice to have more multiples of the same card as well.

I play Bolt Action in 15mm primarily, but have started to put together a 28mm Gebirgjager force. I really like painting the 28mm troops. I have found a couple of reasonable deals on Ebay that have really cut down on the acquisition cost for this project.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:22 am

The game arrived today and it looks pretty good. Love that they give you 22 various tank cards in the starter and you can repurpose the AAM or FoW mini's.

I found a nice 1 hour tutorial on the basics of gameplay so studying a dry rule book won't so bad once you have half a clue what is going on beforehand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wdbaZvHzZw&t=1444s

If anyone buys into any of the expansion vehicles be sure to post a pic of the card here :D Would love to get the Achilles and M36 TDs.

We will likely just buy some green felt at a local fabric store to get started and see if we can adapt the AAM maps later once we get the hang of it.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:46 am

:bowty: Good to see your getting started Herr Ober. KennyJ, Jim and, myself have our first games scheduled next Thursday.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:23 am

Locozugmeister wrote::bowty: Good to see your getting started Herr Ober. KennyJ, Jim and, myself have our first games scheduled next Thursday.
Thursday evening for us too. Great minds think alike :cool:
~Gen. G.S. Patton

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:37 pm

Loco, did you get the email I sent you of the expansion cards? I got them off the GF9's Facebook page. They are a little friggy to print but worth having the extra units to play with. If you are patient enough to scroll through the posts there are also so fan stats posted, not many actually turned into cards though.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:30 pm

:bowty: Got them Ober, thanks much. Haven't had time to print them yet. Been busy working on 5 PSCo. German Halftracks for Sgt. Fury's "Bounce the Rhine" scenario.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Locozugmeister wrote::bowty: Got them Ober, thanks much. Haven't had time to print them yet. Been busy working on 5 PSCo. German Halftracks for Sgt. Fury's "Bounce the Rhine" scenario.
Are you sending them to him or using them when you guys play the scenario?
~Gen. G.S. Patton